top of page

Landlords and business owners - Don’t underestimate the fire risk from electricity.

Updated: Nov 4, 2022

Follow these simple tips for electrical safety.


Electricity is a convenient and efficient way to power our properties, but it also poses a significant fire risk. The potential consequences of such a fire include damage to equipment, damage to the building, its wiring and electrocution of people.


Follow these simple tips to minimize the risk of an electrical fire inside your property:

  • Inspect electrical leads and plugs for deterioration and faulty wiring.

  • Make sure cables aren’t frayed.

  • Never use tape to connect or repair cables. Damaged cables must be discarded and replaced.

  • Never run cables beneath carpets, mats or rugs where damage cannot be observed.

  • Don't overload outlets

  • Use surge protectors

  • Avoid using extension cords when possible.

  • Learn about the fire risk from electricity and follow safe practices to minimize the danger.

  • Have your wiring checked regularly by a professional.


The chances of a fire in your home or workplace happening are reduced if you take these simple precautions. It is also a good idea to have a fire risk assessment and escape plan for your employees or tenants so that they know what to do in the event of a fire.


Is your PAT testing up to date? Do you need help with electrical safety inside your property?


If you are not sure what to do, call Metro-PAT 24/7 Ltd on 0800 014 6728 or book one of our experienced engineers online.



Recent Posts

See All